Monday, January 16, 2006

The biggest "Why"? The largest question for anyone is “Why was I born when I was, where I was, who I was? For me, that is: Why was I born in 19__, in a small tobacco town in North Carolina, a white male?

Why not a black female in Senegal in the 1600's? Or a male in China in the fifth century BC?

It seems likely to me that I was born in the past as someone else, somewhere else–perhaps many times. And that it will happen again when I leave this life. Why? It’s difficult to explain a feeling, but I’ll try by saying that it doesn’t seem that the “I” that I know existed only one time in the infinite sweep of history.

“Reincarnation” and “transmigration” are the terms for such a phenomenon. An interesting book* includes excerpts from a vast number of sources-- worldwide and spanning many centuries on the subject; numerous individuals known to present-day Americans (Thomas Edison, Mark Twain, Ralph Waldo Emerson, Salvador Dali, and Charles Eastman are just a few) express beliefs consonant with reincarnation.

* Reincarnation:an East-West Anthology (compiled and edited by Joseph Head), published by The Theosophical Publishing House, Wheaton, IL 1985

If karma is indeed true, then I must have done some wonderful things in my prior life(lives) because I have been extremely fortunate in this one. Had a few incidents at critical junctures of my life only occurred very slightly differently, I would have been far less lucky.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Name:
Location: United States

Mycroft Watson is the nom de plume of a man who has seen many winters. He is moderate to an extreme. When he comes to a fork in the road, he always takes it. His favorite philosopher is Yogi Berra. He has come out of the closet and identified himself. Anyone interested can get his real name, biography, and e-mail address by going to "Google Search" and keying in "User:Marshall H. Pinnix" (case sensitive).

Powered by Blogger

FREE hit counter and Internet traffic statistics from freestats.com
http://rpc.technorati.com/rpc/ping
Free Top Ten Search Engine Submission!
  • Excite
  • What-U-Seek
  • Webcrawler
  • NetFind
  • Lycos
  • Infoseek
  • AltaVista
  • HotBot
  • Goto
  • Northern Light
Site Title
URL
Name
Email
Free Advertising
 Blog Top Sites a href="http://www.blogtopsites.com/"> Blog Top Sites