Tuesday, July 04, 2006

A kind act remembered

Many years ago, when I was age 13, I had saved $3 with which to buy a baseball glove. A buddy and I rode our bicycles to the store in the little North Carolina town where I was born and grew up. I was dumbstruck when at the store I found the $3 missing–I had put the three $1 bills rolled together in my pants pocket, and they had obviously fallen out while bicycling to the store.

Stricken with disappointment and shame for not having been more careful with the money–$3 at that time to a 13-year-old boy was like hundreds of dollars today–my friend and I started looking under parked cars along the route we had taken, hoping that the bills might have blown under one of them and stuck there. No such luck! As we were doing this, a man who was walking by and knew us, Mr. Lonnie Breedlove, who owned a nearby grocery store, asked what was going on. We, of course, told him my sad story.

Some time later that day, Mr. Breedlove phoned my house to tell that his truck driver who delivered groceries to customers had found the lost money and that I should come by his store and pick it up! By his account, the driver had found it a long block away from our route to the store (he was said to have found it at an intersection on a street parallel to the one we took, the block between the two streets being maybe 200 yards long).

Although at the time I believed his story, as time passed I realized that it didn’t happen. How could three $1 bills have stuck together while being blown some 200 yards (it wasn’t a windy day to begin with)? Would a truck driver, upon finding money in the street–remember, it was a lot of money at that time–have told about it, and then voluntarily given it up to be returned to its rightful owner? Hardly. I realized that, out the kindness of his heart, Mr. Breedlove didn’t want to see a young boy so disappointed, so he concocted the story about it being found and gave me the $3 from his pocket.

Since the incident occurred well over 60 years ago, Mr. Breedlove must have passed away years ago. But I am sure that he built up some good karma for his next life by his kind act.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Enjoyed the reminiscence. From Texas, an old neighbor wonders if the three $1 bills were archived.

Sunday, August 20, 2006 12:18:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Name:
Location: United States

Mycroft Watson is the nom de plume of a man who has seen many winters. He is moderate to an extreme. When he comes to a fork in the road, he always takes it. His favorite philosopher is Yogi Berra. He has come out of the closet and identified himself. Anyone interested can get his real name, biography, and e-mail address by going to "Google Search" and keying in "User:Marshall H. Pinnix" (case sensitive).

Powered by Blogger

FREE hit counter and Internet traffic statistics from freestats.com
http://rpc.technorati.com/rpc/ping
Free Top Ten Search Engine Submission!
  • Excite
  • What-U-Seek
  • Webcrawler
  • NetFind
  • Lycos
  • Infoseek
  • AltaVista
  • HotBot
  • Goto
  • Northern Light
Site Title
URL
Name
Email
Free Advertising
 Blog Top Sites a href="http://www.blogtopsites.com/"> Blog Top Sites