Thursday, May 18, 2006

Introduction of Internet Explorer 7 (Beta 2): be warned

The much-heralded Internet Explorer 7 (Beta 2) version just became available from Microsoft a short time ago, at which time the company put out a promotion describing all of its desirable new features. So I downloaded it, which was very easy, taking only a few minutes. But, a day or two later, I found to my horror that I could no longer paste text from a Word Perfect page (by using "Edit" and "Copy") onto a page of a new e-mail (using Outlook Express) that I was creating. Other than very short ones, I always create e-mails that way (so I can edit and use Spell Check in Word Perfect before copying to the e-mail).

At first, I had no idea that my problem was caused by the downloading of IE7 because I didn’t know that there was any connection between Outlook Express and Internet Explorer. After much time spent, I learned that the downloading of IE7 was causing the problem. To uninstall it I had to contact tech service at Hewlett Packard (Windows XP had been installed at the factory on my computer) to remove it and go back to IE6, which cost me $45, my computer being out of warranty.

The situation was like taking a prescription drug that offers benefits in one way but has unacceptable side effects.

IE7 may be wonderful for anyone who doesn’t use my method of creating e-mails, but if you do, be warned.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Name:
Location: United States

Mycroft Watson is the nom de plume of a man who has seen many winters. He is moderate to an extreme. When he comes to a fork in the road, he always takes it. His favorite philosopher is Yogi Berra. He has come out of the closet and identified himself. Anyone interested can get his real name, biography, and e-mail address by going to "Google Search" and keying in "User:Marshall H. Pinnix" (case sensitive).

Powered by Blogger

FREE hit counter and Internet traffic statistics from freestats.com
http://rpc.technorati.com/rpc/ping
Free Top Ten Search Engine Submission!
  • Excite
  • What-U-Seek
  • Webcrawler
  • NetFind
  • Lycos
  • Infoseek
  • AltaVista
  • HotBot
  • Goto
  • Northern Light
Site Title
URL
Name
Email
Free Advertising
 Blog Top Sites a href="http://www.blogtopsites.com/"> Blog Top Sites